Working in the Czech Republic - UPDATED


Information about working, jobseekers, permits and all conditions in our updated article!

Many higher education students choose to work part-type during their studies, either during the evenings or at the weekends. As well as this, many students find summer work during the summer break from June to August. Nearly all jobs in the Czech Republic will require you to be able to speak Czech fluently so bear this in mind when looking for work. Especially, economic increases, so companies need more assistants, so it will be more work.

Work Permits

If you are a foreign student from any European Union country, Switzerland, Lichtenstein Iceland or Norway you have the same legal status as a citizen of the Czech Republic and can therefore work without needing a work permit. This is also true of for relatives of citizens from these countries, spouses for example: they enjoy the same legal status and are free to accept paid employment without the need for a work permit.

If you are a foreign student from any other country you will need to apply for a work permit to be able to accept any kind of paid employment. This is as well as the student visa, and it should be understood that the student visa does not give you the right to be able to work. A work permit can be obtained from a local Labour Office and costs CZK 500, filling the forms, paying stamps and supplying photo.The work permit lasts for a year but can be extended several times. If you do want to extend it make sure you do so at least 30 days before it is due to expire. It should be noted that the work permit is only valid for the specific employer and position as stated on the application/permit. It does not give you the freedom to work freely and change jobs, for example. It should also be highlighted that a work permit will only be granted if it does not affect the student’s studies. However, Green and Blue card are variation of work permits for foreigners. Blue card is for employees with degree, this card is work and residence permit, two in one. Green card is for hard jobs to fill.

It is still possible for foreign students to work without a work permit providing that you are 26 years old or younger, study at high school or university with accreditation of Ministry of Education and your employment does not exceed 7 consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 days in a calendar year. This is perfect for part-time jobs, at the weekend, for example.

For further information see the website for the Czech Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.


If you do work in the Czech Republic you will have to pay income tax on what you earn. Your tax status depends on your residency situation. If you spend more than 182 days in one calendar year in the Czech Republic you will be considered a resident for tax purposes and will have to pay tax on your total, worldwide earnings. If your habitual residence remains outside the Czech Republic then you will only pay tax on what you earn within the Czech Republic. There is a flat income tax rate of 15 % and this will be automatically be deducted from your salary each month.

Where to find work

If you do decide to work in the Czech Republic as a student you will need to have some idea of where to look for work. There are many job websites that offer a convenient way to look for work. Many of these can be read in English, although some are only available in Czech. The website is designed specifically for foreigners and multilingual Czech people looking for a job or internship in the Czech Republic. The site loads first in English, but you can easily switch to the Czech or German version.

The search bar is a powerful tool for finding the most suitable job or internship for you. As you can see, you can switch between searching for a job, or for internship using the button on the top. To narrow your search, you can look for a job in a particular branch, region, and in the languages you prefer to use in your future employment.

One popular website is It lists a huge variety of positions including part-time and temporary work. If you would like a job that corresponds with your studies and could give you some valuable experience then is recommended. This website is only available in Czech. Other useful website is During the summer many restaurants and bars look for extra staff and often advertise on their premises, in windows/doors, and it is better to enquire in person.

Photo by