Residence Permits

EU/EEA citizens

Students from the EU as well as Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and certain other states do not need a visa to study in the Czech Republic. Within 30 days of your entry, you will need to register your stay with the foreign police department.

However, if you are planning to stay for more than 90 days to study, you will then need to apply for a ‘long-term residence permit for the purpose of study in the territory’. Your application for a long-term residence permit should be filed with the office of the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy.

When applying for a long-term residence permit the following documents will be required:

  • Valid passport and passport photos,
  • Letter of acceptance for studies from your institution,
  • Proof of financial resources for the stay (bank statement, confirmation of grant etc.),
  • Confirmation of guaranteed accommodation,
  • Valid international health insurance,
  • An abstract from the Register of Criminal Records.

Please note that some documents (e.g. the abstract from the Register of Criminal Records) must be translated into Czech by a sworn translator. 

It is highly recommended that you contact the Czech embassy or consulate in your home country for further details regarding visas and residence permits, as you may be required to bring important documents with you.

For a more comprehensive list and further details of how to apply see the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic website.

The processing time of an application can take up to 60 days if you apply in the Czech Republic and up to 180 days if you apply outside. It is recommended therefore that you apply within the Czech Republic.